Thursday, May 6, 2010

Stephen and Sarah’s life together in England (1900 to 1911)

 The Life Story of Stephen and Sarah Jane (Catterall) Carr
By: Julie Marie (Allen) Carr 
 
Part One: Stephen and Sarah Jane (Catterall) Carr and family
Chapter 3: Stephen and Sarah’s life together in England (1900 to 1911)




Needless to say, at this point we don’t know how Stephen and Sarah met, but we do know that they got married on the 15th day of September 1900. This date along with the fact that they got married in ENGLAND was handed down from generation to generation. For some reason, Stephen and Sarah never mentioned where they were married other than England -- as if England was a small area. Yeah Right! And again England got us no where.


I was able to locate Stephen and Sarah’s marriage entry in the index pretty quickly, but I still didn’t know how to order it or how much it would cost. Then someone informed me about General Register Office for England and Wales. I saved up enough money to order it and found out that I was for sure following the correct family.






It had father for Stephen as William Carr and father for Sarah as Joseph Catterall. There was a female witness JANE MILLER -- at this point I do not know who this could be. Another witness was a male witness MICHAEL WILLIAM CATTERALL, who was listed on the 1881 England Census as the son of Joseph and Isabella Catterall.




The name Michael William is special in another way. My husband, Michael, and I decided to name our son Michael William. At the time it was because Michael is both my husband’s and his dad’s name, and William is my dad’s, my brother’s, my grandpa’s middle name, and my great-grandfather’s first name. So as you can see Michael William was a very big family name, then when my son was 12 and half we found out that his great-great Uncle’s name was Michael William so yet another family reason for my son to be called Michael William Carr.




Stephen and Sarah was listed as a married couple for the first time in the 1901 England Census. The following transcription is provided at the following website


1901 census RG13/4836 folio 134 page 18
Seaton Hirst,
86 Myrtle Street
Stephen Carr, Head, Mar, 24, Coalminer, Durham Pelton Fell
Sarah Jane Carr, Wife, M, 19, Durham New Herrington




Ancestry.com, 1901 England Census (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005),
http://www.ancestry.com/, Database online.
Class: RG13; Piece: 4836; Folio: 134; Page: 18.
Record for Stephen Carr.




During the next ten years, Stephen and Sarah experienced both happy and sad memories. There were family members, who died and those who were born. In fact Stephen and Sarah had six children before the 1911 census came out. They had the following children*:




Hannah Bell Carr (15 Sept 1901 to 17 Apr 1967)
Elizabeth Leah Carr (21 Aug 1903 to 10 Oct 1983)
Evelyn Divine Carr (06 Jul 1905 to 21 June 1961)
William Catterall Carr (17 Feb 1907 to 16 Jan 1978)
Joseph Catterall Carr (14 Jan 1908 to 17 May 1963)
Mary Jane Carr (Oct 1910 to Sept 1911)




*I will be having a section for each of these children discussing their marriages, children, grandchildren, and deaths. I will not list living descendants (unless they are in a printed document such as an obituary); however, if you think you are related to them please email me at juliecarrfamilyresearch@gmail.com, so we can share information.




I do not have any picture of Stephen and Sarah during their younger years. At this point I do not have any baby pictures of any of the Carr children, but hopefully some day I will be able to include them.




I only have two children and have a house full. I couldn’t image having six of them under the age of 10; however, this was more common in the early 1900’s than it is today. I know some families who had children to help with the chores, but I don’t know the situation on why Stephen and Sarah had the children. I want to think because Stephen and Sarah really loved the kids. They had 4 daughters and 2 sons during the time they lived in England. I wonder how it felt to live in a house where there was so many females compared to males. My family is even 2 males and 2 females, I would say perfect, but every family has their ups and downs and I don’t think it has to do with how many males or females live there.
(Update: as of July 29, 2011 my family has grown to 3 males and 2 females)



They had some hard time in their life and decided to leave for Canada soon after the 1911 Census was taken. The next chapter will discuss them leaving for Canada and living in Canada. They had one child while living in Canada, and she to will have her section all to herself.




The last England Census they are in is the 1911. My husband's 1st cousin, Mary Lou sent me a copy of the 1911 census. I will be scanning and posting this as soon as I can. It's really cool having the entire family written in one page.

I found the household at a pay per view site called 1911census.co.uk and findmypast.co.uk. Here’s the household from oldest to youngest - I found the family with searching Carr living with different people until I found them - the best search is Carr last name - living with William Catherall and then Carr last name living with Eveadevine. Gateshead Durham


1. Stephen Carr - Head - 33 - Married - 11 yrs -
                            6 born/6 living/none dead -
                            Coal Miner Hewer, Mine, Worker -
                            Birthplace - Co. Durham, Pelton Fell
2. Sarah Jane Carr - Wife - 29 - Married - 11 yrs -
                            Birthplace -  Co. Durham New Herrington
3. Hannah Carr - Daughter - 10 -
                            Birthplace - Co. Northumberland New Hirst
4. Elisebth Carr - Daughter - 7 -
                            Birthplace - Co. Durham Cornforth
5. Evea Devine Carr - Daughter - 5 -
                            Birthplace - Co. Durham Ferryhill
6. William Catterall Carr - Son - 4 -
                            Birthplace - Co. Durham Ferryhill
7. Joseph Carr - Son - 2 - Birthplace - Co. Durham Greenside
9. Mary Jane Carr - Daughter - 6 months -
                            Birthplace - Co. Durham Greenside
10. William Carr - Border - 39 - Single -
                            Coal Miner Hewer, Mine, Worker -
                             Birthplace - Co. Durham N/C

Signature: Stephen Carr

Postal Address: No. 5 Ellison Terr, Greenside


5 Ellison Terrace, Greenside, Ryton, NE40 4BL, UK - Google Maps
Found on November 07, 2010

After I discuss the 6 children, I will see you on the road to Canada!

________________________________________________________________


This is not only the story of Stephen and Sarah’s life, but also the story behind my research. I hope little by little I will be able to not only find documents that prove their family, but also stories that bring them to life. Please if you have anything you want to add to this blog, email me at juliecarrfamilyresearch@gmail.com.


Thank you,
Julie Marie (Allen) Carr

No comments:

Post a Comment